21 replies to this topic

#1 Fezzik

Fezzik

Giant

• Elder Watcher
  • 1052 posts
  • Locationbehind the boulder... waiting for the man in black

Posted 20 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

Everyone has certain bases they're good at and certain bases they suck at.  For me, my kryptonite seems to be long jumps.  Because of this I skip 90% of platform bases regardless of the contents of the totem. 

By long jumps, I mean jumps where you basically have to walk off the edge of a platform or wall to where you're almost floating on air and then jump so you can (barely) reach the next platform or ledge. 

For me, these jumps seem to be horribly inconsistent.  It seems like sometimes I fall off the edge earlier than other times, before I can jump, but jumping a millisecond too early never works.  I don't know if these long jumps are path dependent like the edge saw jump is or what.  Anyone know?  And does anyone have any tips on how to more consistently land these long jumps? 

#2 Nailstrom

Nailstrom

Thievery Practitioner

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSimply walking into Mordor, while using the Force to blast my way through hordes of daleks, While riding my hoverboard and wearing self-tying sneakers.

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:14 PM

I feel your pain. But long jumps by themselves aren't my problem, it's that accursed glitch horizontal saw jump. -_- It hurts to skip them when I see the totem, but I must due to lack of orbs/disable potions. A tip for the long jumps, think of a metronome beat, *tick tick tick* JUMP. That helps me, might work for you.

J10pgLz.gif

Proud leader of Astral Thieves

What Kind of thief are you?

#3 Gamertron7500

Gamertron7500

The Red Dragon

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • LocationIn my world...

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:25 PM

Saw-wall jumps are really annoying. I can't seem to pass one at all!

#4 Lelu

Lelu

Leader of guild Finland

• Ex-Watcher
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • LocationAt your chest

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:29 PM

Not sure. I haven't really given that much thought about that... The platform long jumps are usually always in right path anyway (if there is a path), since typically it starts in position where you have no other choice but to succeed in long jump. On the other hand, maps that require long jump to hit a gravity switch seems to be really hard for me. The platformers I can take, but for some reason the long gravity switch jump is really hard for me.

Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem

Quoniqmcum probates fuerit accipient coronam rex regum

#5 Fezzik

Fezzik

Giant

• Elder Watcher
  • 1052 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:54 PM

We all have our kryptonite I guess.  Saw jumps of all types I'm OK with.  I was even getting pretty good at the troll jump before it was eliminated today.  If I see a base with a tough saw jump, even an upside down one, I'm still relatively confident that I can 3-star it or at least 2-star it.  But when I see a long jump, be it a platform base or a long jump to a gravity switch like Lelu mentioned, I pretty much know I'm getting 1 star.

The metronome technique is interesting.  I'll have to try that. 

#6 hamizan98

hamizan98

Thievery Practitioner

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:13 PM

I am really bad at all jumps... :( thats why i cant create hard base...

#7 Otaki

Otaki

Thievery Adept

• Hardened Thief
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

For long gravity jumps use slow mo... 100% sure that all of u will jump 1st or 2nd time

#8 NoNameJustGame

NoNameJustGame

Thievery Master

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationIn your dungeon.

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:41 PM

Slow motion.
  • Dub likes this

#9 Fezzik

Fezzik

Giant

• Elder Watcher
  • 1052 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:04 PM

Even with slow motion some of those long jumps are very low percentage jumps for me.  Gang of thieves helps sometimes, but the point is to be able to make the jump with a reasonable amount of reliability, like the corner saw jump when you get good at it.

#10 NoNameJustGame

NoNameJustGame

Thievery Master

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:27 PM

Well then practice makes perfect, won't get any better at them without trying.. just like horizontal saw jump for instance..

#11 Fezzik

Fezzik

Giant

• Elder Watcher
  • 1052 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:42 PM

It's not necessarily all about practice.  Sometimes tips help, like for an edge saw jump you should know to jump a few pixels before the edge of the gap, not right at the edge.  You should also know you can't possibly make that jump when jumping up from below, and sometimes certain paths to the saw make it 100% impossible no matter how much you practice.  Or with the old troll jump before the update, you could practice it 1000 times by jumping up from the floor and you'd never ever make it because it was path dependent. 

I have a feeling some of these long jumps may have some special requirements like that but I don't know that for sure.  Like maybe they only work when you land at or start your run from specific distances from the edge.

Can anyone make these jumps consistently?  Say for example the double wood platform base where you have to long jump to the terrain from the bottom platform.  It seems like I make that jump like 1 / 20 times. 

b21-l1740.jpg

• teo likes this

#12 NoNameJustGame

NoNameJustGame

Thievery Master

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:40 PM

That base will problobly not be possible in the future because it requires you to literally walk under the cannon bullet, but for bases like that all you can do is jump right before you drop, not path dependent..

Edited by NoNameJustGame, 22 August 2015 - 11:41 PM.

#13 Gem master

Gem master

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:18 PM

Like others have said it's just practice. I'm now more confident at corner saw jump. Iv always used long jumps so I don't mind them. I go for any base I can miss the xp on lol. Sometimes I don't care about xp if it has something I want. One a side note, I have a new respect for campers since I restarted. The ones who don't raid meh. But there was a lvl6 who came in the top10 in the new gold event. That's a real achievement 💪💪💪👍

Edit. To the post above about the wooden wall jumps. I make them consistently but I die from the cannons etc. I hate them bases. I pretty much skip them all the time 😧

Edited by Gem master, 25 August 2015 - 06:21 PM.

#14 Dub

Dub

Thievery Master

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:15 PM

I have a feeling some of these long jumps may have some special requirements like that but I don't know that for sure. Like maybe they only work when you land at or start your run from specific distances from the edge

Practice really, and of course slo-mo. But regarding your comment I quoted above about special requirements:
I'm fairly certain it's not path dependent like an inline saw jump, however I have noticed that in the scenario illustrated below, I cannot make the jump when I follow the red path (sliding down and jumping off the wall at a low point), versus when I take the green path (jumping off the wall at a high point). I would be curious to see what others' results are with this scenario.
In a different layout altogether (but somewhat related I guess), I've also struggled to make a perfect low corner jump whenever I jump right before the actual jump into the corner, if that makes sense.

Pic about the actual topic:
IsuuL87.jpg

Pic about my last sentence about low corner jumps:
lEa3ygS.jpg

Edited by Dub, 25 August 2015 - 11:27 PM.

#15 Fezzik

Fezzik

Giant

• Elder Watcher
  • 1052 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:48 PM

I don't have much of an issue with corner jumps.  The timing is especially precise if you want the thief's animation to stretch when he jumps out of the corner (required to pass certain layouts, but not the one pictured) but I don't think I've ever had a lead-up where a corner jump was not possible like an edge saw jump can be.

I have noticed that long jumps seem more attainable from certain lead-ups, like your first image demonstrates, but based on the other comments on this thread it seems like we may be in the minority.

#16 Dub

Dub

Thievery Master

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:02 AM

I will try to test this idea out next time I come across an appropriate base like in the picture. Since we still can't test our own bases with potions, I need to be able to use slo-mo in the wild, to see if it's really true or if it's just coincidence. Will let you know if I do!

#17 Fezzik

Fezzik

Giant

• Elder Watcher
  • 1052 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:09 AM

lol @ "in the wild". 

Whenever I wind up in a tough base doing a retrieval and I'm down to 1 star anyway, I like to practice things like this.  It makes me feel better that people can't watch me failing miserably in replays. :-)

#18 DenMattie

DenMattie

Pickpocket

• Thief
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:26 AM

I'm already used to the cannon jump but the saw jump is still bothering me. It's all about timing actually.

#19 Geist812

Geist812

Gangster Mom

• Elder Watcher
  • 38 posts
  • LocationWhere pineapple does go on pizza :D

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:49 AM

Whenever I wind up in a tough base doing a retrieval and I'm down to 1 star anyway, I like to practice things like this.  It makes me feel better that people can't watch me failing miserably in replays. :-)

Lol, that is why I am much better in retrieving then raiding. I still get nervous whenever I see big gems in a totem. And especially since I became a watcher I am always afraid I will make a total fool of myself.

#20 Fezzik

Fezzik

Giant

• Elder Watcher
  • 1052 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

Wow this is an old thread... from before we discovered that long jumps, like saw jumps, can be path dependent.  There's so much we've learned about game physics.

Anyway, past Fezzik, there's your answer.  Long jumps are often path dependent, so things like the spot you jump from when turning around or the door position when going right into one of these jumps can make it possible or impossible before you even attempt to tap at the last moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users