Things I wish I knew when I started this game:
Ok, so this isn't a complete list, but I see a lot of new players having to figure stuff out along the way and making the same mistakes I did, so this is what I wish I knew from the start. Doesn't mean everyone would play it the same way, or that I haven't missed anything. If I have missed anything, feel free to add your thoughts in comments!
* Buy the extra gem slots. You will want them later.
* Upgrade your traps! Yes it does matter. Level 26 and up traps will stop a ws5 in 7 deaths. Sometimes the smoke from the upgrading trap, can hide jump points, and still be effective as a trap itself.
* Respin twice after every ritual to get your eyes.
* Don't get the 3rd and 4th thrones. Save up for your Forseer throne. (What used to be called White Shadow)
* Don't waste your orbs on finishing rituals early or respinning for small spikes. Save them for (occasionally) deeps and always golds. Set respin limits for yourself so you don't rage spin all your orbs away. If you raid without orbs, I will call you a noob. Sorry.
* Friend other players. Do retrieves for them. They will return the favor and you won't loose many gems permanently.
* Kotdb.com is an incredible rescource. Use it. BUT, the bases on there are usually pretty well known and well practiced by other players. So be aware, if you use a base off there, you're not the first to use it.
* Seek out information. There are a multitude of players who share game tips. They're almost all a quick fb search or youtube search away.
* Use potions! That's why they're there! I invariably see someone saying, "Well so and so's good, but they use potions." Of course they use potions. They do that because they're good and using them is part of the game. More to the point, using potions does take skill. You have to know when and how to use them to make them effective. So save your potions for when you need them, and learn how to use them when that big gold pops up on your screen.
* Make semi perfect gems. Turn them into perfect gems. Semi perfect gems are made by combining 3 big gems into a 999,999 gem. You use your bonus to get you there. So say my 3 gems add up to 997,200 my bonus will take it all the way to 999,999 without going over. But be careful. Your retrieve bonus on a stolen gem can take it over and 1m gems make you look like a noob and cost a fortune to store.
* Don't upgrade your locks. I'll raid you no matter what locks you have. But I'll skull brown locks just because I'm farming orbs. It's also nice when people have to do retrieves from you that they don't have to burn through 66 keys to do it.
* Merchants Discount: I personally never upgraded this, but I go through 3-4m gold a day, so It wasn't a concern for me. But if you don't play that much, then merchant's discount is a huge help for getting your castle upgraded. Get it upgraded early.
* Guild. Pretty straight forward. Find a guild with people you like, who are willing to do retrieves, and are about as active as you are. If you play a ton, find other people who play a ton. If you only play a little for fun, find a guild that does the same. Play with people who play on your level. (Or who will push you to be better).
* Saw jumps: Best way to learn them is to make a dungeon with one. I was terrible at them until I took the time to finally make one and then practiced it like crazy. Hint: There are paths. They make a HUGE difference.
I know this isn't comprehensive. I'm sure there's a million things I've missed or that other players do differently. Just trying to hit the main points I would have wanted to know when I was a new player. Adding to is welcome and appreciated! Trolls are not. Happy Stealing!