Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

What I wish I knew when I started KOT

new player how do I what should I upgrade saw jumps traps rescources guild perfects

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Poop face

Poop face

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

Things I wish I knew when I started this game:

Ok, so this isn't a complete list, but I see a lot of new players having to figure stuff out along the way and making the same mistakes I did, so this is what I wish I knew from the start. Doesn't mean everyone would play it the same way, or that I haven't missed anything. If I have missed anything, feel free to add your thoughts in comments!

* Buy the extra gem slots. You will want them later.

* Upgrade your traps! Yes it does matter. Level 26 and up traps will stop a ws5 in 7 deaths. Sometimes the smoke from the upgrading trap, can hide jump points, and still be effective as a trap itself.

* Respin twice after every ritual to get your eyes.

* Don't get the 3rd and 4th thrones. Save up for your Forseer throne. (What used to be called White Shadow)

* Don't waste your orbs on finishing rituals early or respinning for small spikes. Save them for (occasionally) deeps and always golds. Set respin limits for yourself so you don't rage spin all your orbs away. If you raid without orbs, I will call you a noob. Sorry.

* Friend other players. Do retrieves for them. They will return the favor and you won't loose many gems permanently.

Kotdb.com is an incredible rescource. Use it. BUT, the bases on there are usually pretty well known and well practiced by other players. So be aware, if you use a base off there, you're not the first to use it.

* Seek out information. There are a multitude of players who share game tips. They're almost all a quick fb search or youtube search away.

* Use potions! That's why they're there! I invariably see someone saying, "Well so and so's good, but they use potions." Of course they use potions. They do that because they're good and using them is part of the game. More to the point, using potions does take skill. You have to know when and how to use them to make them effective. So save your potions for when you need them, and learn how to use them when that big gold pops up on your screen.

* Make semi perfect gems. Turn them into perfect gems. Semi perfect gems are made by combining 3 big gems into a 999,999 gem. You use your bonus to get you there. So say my 3 gems add up to 997,200 my bonus will take it all the way to 999,999 without going over. But be careful. Your retrieve bonus on a stolen gem can take it over and 1m gems make you look like a noob and cost a fortune to store.

* Don't upgrade your locks. I'll raid you no matter what locks you have. But I'll skull brown locks just because I'm farming orbs. It's also nice when people have to do retrieves from you that they don't have to burn through 66 keys to do it.

* Merchants Discount: I personally never upgraded this, but I go through 3-4m gold a day, so It wasn't a concern for me. But if you don't play that much, then merchant's discount is a huge help for getting your castle upgraded. Get it upgraded early.

* Guild. Pretty straight forward. Find a guild with people you like, who are willing to do retrieves, and are about as active as you are. If you play a ton, find other people who play a ton. If you only play a little for fun, find a guild that does the same. Play with people who play on your level. (Or who will push you to be better).

* Saw jumps: Best way to learn them is to make a dungeon with one. I was terrible at them until I took the time to finally make one and then practiced it like crazy. Hint: There are paths. They make a HUGE difference.

I know this isn't comprehensive. I'm sure there's a million things I've missed or that other players do differently. Just trying to hit the main points I would have wanted to know when I was a new player. Adding to is welcome and appreciated! Trolls are not. ;) Happy Stealing! 

#2 King of Eterity

King of Eterity

King of Eterity

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationEterity

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:25 PM

Some other things.

*Max merchant first, may be expensive but will heavily benefit you later on.
*Don't max let locks, you will have to upgrade them to level 4 to unlock gold mine speed and gem defence, 2 essential upgrades, but no further. Higher level locks require more keys to open, and who have more keys sooner? Players who have more gold to upgrade it. Who has more gold? Pro players, they are more likely to 3 star bases than noobs. What do 3 stars bring? More gold. So you want noobs raiding, they have less keys so you want less locks so that you can let them in. What do noobs do? Well by them raiding, they give you a shield that protects you from the pros. They also die more = more skulls = more gold. If you upgrade skull, then you will likely to get profit from a noob raid than loss.
*Upgrade skull gold. You will find that it pays for other upgrades.
*Gem defence. Lose less gems.
*Don't use KOTDb. Most bases on there are well known and therefore more likely to be beaten.
That is all I have for now.

Edited by King of Eterity, 29 January 2016 - 08:27 PM.

BYE KOT

electriking.png

Please help me with my SMBX Project: Super Mario World at War

#3 Poop face

Poop face

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:58 PM

Yeah. Agree with all of that. I used kotdb heavily as a noob just to learn basic techniques. Once I had those down, I use those techniques to make almost entirely custom dungeons. You always get a few deaths just from them figuring out hiw to do it. If your traps are upgraded, a few deaths are all you need. (The exception being a few really great setups that have proven themselves to be potion proof. Some like the staggered double platform are difficult even for the highest players.) And 100% agree on the skull bonus upgrade. I didn't put that into the main article, but it deserves to be in there. Upgrade it early.

#4 Bryce

Bryce

The Veteran

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:21 PM

Some other things.

*Max merchant first, may be expensive but will heavily benefit you later on.
*Don't max let locks, you will have to upgrade them to level 4 to unlock gold mine speed and gem defence, 2 essential upgrades, but no further. Higher level locks require more keys to open, and who have more keys sooner? Players who have more gold to upgrade it. Who has more gold? Pro players, they are more likely to 3 star bases than noobs. What do 3 stars bring? More gold. So you want noobs raiding, they have less keys so you want less locks so that you can let them in. What do noobs do? Well by them raiding, they give you a shield that protects you from the pros. They also die more = more skulls = more gold. If you upgrade skull, then you will likely to get profit from a noob raid than loss.
*Upgrade skull gold. You will find that it pays for other upgrades.
*Gem defence. Lose less gems.
*Don't use KOTDb. Most bases on there are well known and therefore more likely to be beaten.
That is all I have for now.

People have been complaining about gold locks ever since I first got on the forums, and I still rather max lock level than having purple. It doesn't matter what locks you have, if you have good gems, anyone will break into your dungeon.

• Abi likes this

#5 Plznopotions

Plznopotions

Pyromaniac

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1436 posts
  • LocationCF WI US

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:34 AM

Gold locks are just annoying...
hO3d6rD.jpg
Costume, trap, and castle levels to in game levels Special thanks to guild leaders, Nikk009, xXx91, and Berndt_toast.

#6 Heinz

Heinz

Thievery Master

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

People have been complaining about gold locks ever since I first got on the forums, and I still rather max lock level than having purple. It doesn't matter what locks you have, if you have good gems, anyone will break into your dungeon.

It depends on how you define 'good gems'. One time a guy has a deep spiked silver gem. He had 7 brown locks. I took a 67k gem form him with 3 stars. Under gold locks I never would raided him... So thanks to all brown-lockers :)

PS: I also want brown locks

#7 Bryce

Bryce

The Veteran

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

It depends on how you define 'good gems'. One time a guy has a deep spiked silver gem. He had 7 brown locks. I took a 67k gem form him with 3 stars. Under gold locks I never would raided him... So thanks to all brown-lockers :)

PS: I also want brown locks

The guy lost a 67k gem because you are only willing to break anything under gold. In other words, he would of been better off with gold gems. Your statement just completely agreed with why I rather my max locks.

#8 manzana

manzana

Thievery Practitioner

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

*Practice SJ, master JoF, Lj, some saw and corner jumps and platform jumps. 

Edited by manzana, 31 January 2016 - 12:12 AM.

I9QgTwg.jpg
Need help with jumps?

#9 DanFariasM

DanFariasM

Peekaboo... ;)

• Elder Watcher
  • 2919 posts
  • LocationVenezuela

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

Not really needed anymore since most of it is patched :( I wish they came back somehow but not gonna happen... Btw , long time no see :P

#10 Debug

Debug

The Debugger

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Huehue

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

I wish I knew about the locks :( :( :(

Debugger | Level 43 | 1.4M Gems | king art online 2 _ Batatomate | Level 11 | 86K Gems | Brasil team
xplpaqt.png
Signature by OnProch97

#11 Buguinho

Buguinho

Thievery Master

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

*Check the forums, they know stuff.
*Learn the "secret" rules.

e0j1xtN.png

Keep calm and
Design new dungeons...

#12 Trabantt

Trabantt

Thievery Master

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationIn the disable trap-potion factory of the guild oWn.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:48 PM

Low lvl lock-> Everybody will attack you no matter what you have.
Low lvl lock+gold-> Everybody will revenge you for the gold, meaning free shields if merging 'define big gems'.
High lvl lock+'define good gems'-> Forget the locks everybody would attack a 'define big gem' wouldn't they?

Me is awesome, me has gems, me has money, me has good traps...

Me loves forums, me loves games, me loves funny stuff...

Me loves King Of Thieves!

#13 Poop face

Poop face

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

I can understand why people would question the gold locks. The best I can say is this was what I wish I knew. It's how I personally would play it if I had a do over. I can tell you why, but it's nothing different than what's been said. Brown locks by nature invite low level players who don't have as many keys, so you get more "noob," raids and more free shields. People are more apt to break into your dungeon simply to orb farm, so not always super interested in your gems. People are more likely to skull you. Just in general, to me, they're a far better way to go. The idea of the gold locks, is that they will keep people out of your dungeon. My experience is, the only people they keep out, are the low level players, assuring you get raided only by experienced players who already have their keys maxed. Not looking to say the gold lock players are wrong, (I will still refer to them as noob locks. Sorry.) just explaining why I would play it the way I would.

#14 Dub

Dub

Thievery Master

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:07 PM

I wish I'd kept brownies as well. It's not only a strategy but more so a courtesy. If everyone maxes out their locks, nobody but Zeptolab benefits - everyone ends up watching more ads and plays less.

And that's not to say Zeptolab shouldn't have us watch some ads... They need income. Just not as many ads as it requires to play the game for 10 minutes.

Edited by Dub, 01 February 2016 - 10:08 PM.

#15 Scoot

Scoot

Thievery Practitioner

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGeffi's Training School

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:03 AM

I wish I knew how to properly use potions when I was starting out. Wasting a DT pot at the start of a raid instead of strategically removing a particular trap after 1 death. Using slo-mo & ghost combo. How to use gang of thieves to your advantage and actually control the herd. And being able to recognize which pots would be most beneficial against the base I was raiding. No telling how many people saw me in their raid log with 2-3 pots used, and 1 star because I wasn't using them effectively.

To new players: go in the campaign mode and play with the potions. Don't be afraid to waste a few, there are always more to find. Practice different things with the gang of thieves. Use pots to your advantage.

#16 GRIMZ

GRIMZ

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

Everyone forgot about getting your level above 45, you will be raided by everyone

#17 King of Eterity

King of Eterity

King of Eterity

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationEterity

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

No you can't get raided by everyone at lvl 45+,only those who are also lvl 45+

BYE KOT

electriking.png

Please help me with my SMBX Project: Super Mario World at War

#18 Phill

Phill

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:37 AM

*Check the forums, they know stuff.
*Learn the "secret" rules.

What are "secret" rules??

#19 J Dubble

J Dubble

Thievery Adept

• Hardened Thief
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Location49th parallel

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:15 AM

I wish I knew how to properly use potions when I was starting out. Wasting a DT pot at the start of a raid instead of strategically removing a particular trap after 1 death. Using slo-mo & ghost combo. How to use gang of thieves to your advantage and actually control the herd. And being able to recognize which pots would be most beneficial against the base I was raiding. No telling how many people saw me in their raid log with 2-3 pots used, and 1 star because I wasn't using them effectively.

To new players: go in the campaign mode and play with the potions. Don't be afraid to waste a few, there are always more to find. Practice different things with the gang of thieves. Use pots to your advantage.

woa! so are you saying if you die once and then use the disarm pot that trap will disappear? 

#20 Scoot

Scoot

Thievery Practitioner

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGeffi's Training School

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:23 PM

woa! so are you saying if you die once and then use the disarm pot that trap will disappear? 

correct, as long as you died to a trap and didn't suicide/start over. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new player, how do I, what should I, upgrade, saw jumps, traps, rescources, guild, perfects

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users