• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lutzkhie_15

Lutzkhie_15

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:32 AM

i really think that the best way to determine if your dungeon is really good, is when it takes you 10 to 15 retries just to get those 2 consecutive runs, and also try your dungeon at different angles, and also try betting your own dungeon using a different approach, make sure that at least 1 or 2 different ways to beat it.

When your upgrading, change your dungeon excluding the one currently upgrading and try my tips above, add the excluded trap so that you wont be caught handicapped with one trap on the wrong place.

hope this could help you! :) cheers ^_^

#2 Plznopotions

Plznopotions

Pyromaniac

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1436 posts
  • LocationCF WI US

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:43 AM

IDK, some people take hours to save dungeons.
hO3d6rD.jpg
Costume, trap, and castle levels to in game levels Special thanks to guild leaders, Nikk009, xXx91, and Berndt_toast.

#3 Lutzkhie_15

Lutzkhie_15

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:42 AM

IDK, some people take hours to save dungeons.

thats the idea :D

#4 Astair

Astair

Thievery Master

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Locationpsst :3

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:49 AM

10-15 tries to get two consecutive saves is still weak because you have to keep in mind that the raider can use pots.
Once you have a satisfactory layout test how easy it is to clear without one of the three traps by moving one trap somewhere irrelevant and then solving. To test for last thief in gang pot move the door to left of original location and then try to solve.
And no...we should try to limit the number of possible solutions to 1
The rest is just learning from other players layouts and improvising.
Or you can be a dummy and ripoff kotdb bases :P

Trap upgrade dust clouds can beused to confuse raiders if placed well ;)

Edited by Astair, 30 November 2016 - 10:51 AM.

#5 fatninja

fatninja

unicorn taint

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1120 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:04 PM

Lmao. I'm one of the dummies that uses kotdb bases if I can't get another layout that I like. When I do use them I usually use the "hardest" one and it holds up to attackers with varying success, just like any base would.
Go to the Dark Side, they have gold locks.

#6 Astair

Astair

Thievery Master

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Locationpsst :3

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:15 PM

Lmao. I'm one of the dummies that uses kotdb bases if I can't get another layout that I like. When I do use them I usually use the "hardest" one and it holds up to attackers with varying success, just like any base would.

Then you are like most :)
but doing that kindof takes away the creative aspect of the game and thats definitely not how kot was meant to be played XD

#7 xitooner

xitooner

Thievery Practitioner

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:00 PM

(chuckle)  yeah 10-15 tries to succeed isnt "enough" IMO.  If it didnt take 30 minutes (or much more) for me to save it... then a pro is gonna take my gem, IMO.  Some guys are just that good.  Wish there was an actual way to test pots directly as a part of saving...it would make it so much easier and help me learn too... but as was said above trying out the map with only 2 traps is a "must-do" as well.  Gotta understand your weaknesses.

Do people still add to KOTDB?    Everyone complains about it so much..... I'll admit there is a ton of junk there but some of it is really nice for learning.

And... I find it really humorous that sooooo many people dont want to share their maps when berndt posts plenty of them that are, frankly, "hard enough"; even when you've seen the video of how its done, its quite another to actually DO it when the time comes.

#8 SweatyLegs

SweatyLegs

Thievery Adept

• Hardened Thief
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:07 PM

To be honest when creating dungeons I take into consideration a few factors : 

Before considering these questions you want to look at the dungeon you have or haven't yet saved as if you were raiding it. 

1. What is the default trap of the dungeon? The term ''default'' refers to the trap that will be disabled by Disable Potion without any deaths occurring. For this answer you can visit this excel page to find out for yourself : http://alexvdg.nl/kot/kot_bases.htmlIt is updated regularly. Also, there is a known trick that you can test in your own base which consists of stacking all 3 of your traps on top of each other and the one you will be able to move from the three is suposed to be the default trap. Except that that's been found to be false in some occurences; one of my accounts is currently in base 25 (1st trap set) and ingame it shows that the fly is the default trap. But, the default trap is the saw. The point is that you want your most important trap (the hardest trap to successfully pass) to not be the default trap or else your dungeon will suffer greatly from raids. 

2. How effective is Gangup Potion in my dungeon? Ideally you'd want your traps to be set up in a way to negate gangup potion's effect. Many dungeons suffer from this potion when well used. In most dungeons you would use Gangup Potion to be able to get by the first few traps and then die in the last trap to then disable it with Dsable Potion. That's why having 1 really good trap and the two others traps decent is not ideal. The best way to counter this potion is to, like said in a previous reply, either move the door 1 square to the left and then test your base of simply do a mental simulation of what gangup would do. Obviously if you are not used to the game mechanics then imagining the results beforehand will not be as easy as just testing it. 

3. Assuming that the raider will use Disable potion and die 7 times, will he be able to easily pass my dungeon? This question determines weather your base is a 0 star farming machine or a 1 star base with 5-10% chance of being robbed every time someone raids you. This also determines how confident you can be with your rituals. If you have a layout that will consistently get 0 starred even with potion used you can safely assume that you can perform a quite hefty rituel. 

4. What set of trap offers the best dungeon I can possibly save? This helps you in numerous ways. If the set you are presented for the cheapest amout of gold consists of three traps that are low levels compared to other traps you own, you may want to check out the other trap sets to benefit from your higher level  traps. Also, don't waste 150 orbs for the best defence (unless you are 100% certain it will benefit you enough to be worth 150 orbs) xD... 

5. Can I save a dungeon that has 1 or 2 pixel jumps without any traps? The answer will usualy be no. But, if you can come by dungeons with gravity switches, planks or the trampolines, you will most likely be able to save layouts that provides 1 or 2 pixel jumps without any traps activated. Those dungeons are usualy the godliest of bases in the game due to their high resilience to potions. Disable and Gangup usualy doesn't do as well against those kinds of bases because it will be hard no matter what. Those bases are definitly worth spending alot of time saving a godly base. ☺ 

6. Considering how many teeths are left on my totem, is it worth saving a hard layout? This question is self explanatory; you don't want to spend a considerable amount of time saving a good base to then change dungeon the day after because you didn't notice there were only 2 teeths left. ☺

These key questions should enhance your dungeon's quality. 

PS : Instead of searching on Kotdb or other sites for dungeons, lookup youtube channels of high level players such as bryan berndt, ash kot and others. Also, what I personally do alot is : I keep pictures in a folder of many godly layouts from players in the best guilds in the game : mishlo, syndicate and such. By going through all of their player's dungeons you can really pick up a good library of godly bases for your future bases. 

I hope this helps, 

Benjamin

#9 PSIPSY

PSIPSY

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

So anyone who tries out my dungeon dies AT LEAST 7 times. However, whenever they use a disable potion, it usually takes out something kind of useless, which is my blue spinner. The moment it takes out my seeker bird or homing cannon, they pass it easily. How do I make a dungeon where ALL 3 traps are powerful and not just 2?

Edited by PSIPSY, 10 April 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#10 Unique

Unique

Thievery Practitioner

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNowhere and everywhere, Never and always.

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:37 PM

Maybe post a pic

#11 Shadow_The_Worm

Shadow_The_Worm

Thievery Practitioner

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:56 AM

I was saving my latest dungeon in more than a hour and more than a single day. It took me LOTS of practice in order to save the dungeon. And no, that wasn't 10-15 attempts, it was more than that. You can learn about the trap layout in the "The Armageddon Dungeon" topic.

#12 Enez3

Enez3

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:51 PM

I made a dungeon and it took me 2 days and the most stars are 0-1.

#13 PSIPSY

PSIPSY

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:29 PM

I made a dungeon and it took me 2 days and the most stars are 0-1.

Well what happens if they use a disable potion? Is it still good?

#14 Remester

Remester

Pickpocket

• Thief
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:16 PM

Before I mass upgraded my stuff people would get like 2 stars on my dungeon. Now they get 1 star or rage quit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users