9 replies to this topic

#1 max_power99

max_power99

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSkip button

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

Hello, I really appreciate the new Roaster trap. But I see it in a kind of weird spot at the moment, which I think could need some improvement.

First of all, I like the way it works, the idea of limiting the time spent not jumping, no matter where you are makes it unique in the game. But exactly this is the point it lacks customization options in my opinion. I can place it anywhere in my dungeon and it would still have the same impact. So here is my idea:

Why not make this trap a solid 4x4 block, you can place anywhere in your dungeon? This would add another way to shape the dungeon itself, just like eg. the gravity switch or the jumppad do. Of course, the way it currently works should be kept, since it is still a "trap". But in addition it would allow players to create countless "edited" dungeon layouts by blocking certain paths or creating gaps etc.

Looking forward to your opinions :)

Edited by max_power99, 11 March 2018 - 03:05 PM.

#2 Kregington

Kregington

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

I​ ​like this idea, but i think the trap size should stay the same and instead of being a solid block it should kill you instantly. Instant death makes more sense to me because, if you think about it, touching something hot is going to burn you instantly... 

#3 Bïłłý

Bïłłý

Thievery Adept

• Hardened Thief
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationMexico city

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

I think the same, but it's a good idea

#4 max_power99

max_power99

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSkip button

Posted 11 March 2018 - 04:39 PM

I​ ​like this idea, but i think the trap size should stay the same and instead of being a solid block it should kill you instantly. Instant death makes more sense to me because, if you think about it, touching something hot is going to burn you instantly... 

Well correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there already is a not moving trap that kills instantly by touching it and that is the saw. :P

#5 Unique

Unique

Thievery Practitioner

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNowhere and everywhere, Never and always.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

Let's be honest- in 90% of situations, the roaster just sucks. I don't think there's a way to rework it without completely changing it. It has so little variety and is overall useless.

I've always thought traps should do different things or make the thief require different jumps to actually be interesting. As the OP states, you place this anywhere in the map and it does nothing.

What really would have been a better thing to add would be more platform/gravity switch bases. Don't add more traps- experiment more with what you got!

#6 max_power99

max_power99

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSkip button

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:04 PM

What really would have been a better thing to add would be more platform/gravity switch bases. Don't add more traps- experiment more with what you got!

That is what I was thinking, and therefore I thought the 4x4 solid block could be one possible solution.

Let's be honest- in 90% of situations, the roaster just sucks. I don't think there's a way to rework it without completely changing it. It has so little variety and is overall useless.

I wouldn't express it that drastic but in a way you are right. It is almost too easy to avoid dying from the roaster, only if you need to dodge another trap it can become an issue. Given that one trap gets disabled you are in addition losing the dangerous potential of the roaster which weakens a dungeon by way more than usual. At least that is what I have noticed so far.

So here's another thought:

The Roaster's death timer could directly depend on the distance between the player and the Roaster. Means eg. that if you are touching it you have jump almost immediately and you can kind of rest when you are far away from it.

Edited by max_power99, 11 March 2018 - 08:04 PM.

#7 Unique

Unique

Thievery Practitioner

• Hardened Thief
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNowhere and everywhere, Never and always.

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:03 AM

So here's another thought:
The Roaster's death timer could directly depend on the distance between the player and the Roaster. Means eg. that if you are touching it you have jump almost immediately and you can kind of rest when you are far away from it.

Holy hell that's genius.

Don't know how exactly that would work, but it completely fixes the little variety problem and buffs the roaster. Great idea man! +1

#8 NavyBlue

NavyBlue

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

I also think the roaster should target all of the thieves in a gang at the same time. Right now it only targets one, making it completely useless against gang potions.

#9 Kwain

Kwain

Pickpocket

• Thief
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:07 AM

They should just delete it..

#10 Kavi

Kavi

Pickpocket

• Hardened Thief
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

The only problem I had faced was that circle around us comes in the way of your view where it is impossible to see whats going on :(

I don't think it has much effect since I had passed such traps easily or  no one has figured to use that trap to its full capacity.

Just one dungeon had used the roast efficiently. The person made the trap in such a way that you cannot jump to escape the heat. Jumping results you being hit by one of the other traps. It was a tricky one still not that hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users