Hello I have a few ideas and thoughts about the "playtime limit" (login offset) that i would like to share,
sorry there is a lot of text. but this is a huge part of the game and i feel it deserves a lot of attentions
First Off, What Is The Playtime Limit?
The "Playtime limit" is a system implemented in hopes of preventing players from being online for long periods of time granting themselves immunity from being raided. and stopping their raid victims from getting revenge. and taking back their stolen gems
The Flaws/Problem With The Playtime Limit
I'm sure lots of people find it extremely irritating when you get booted out of the game and are told you aren't allowed to play for 3 hours. but asides from being an annoyance, its incontinent and a poorly thought out mechanic.
1) The system negatively effects dedicated players who play fair more then anyone else (because dedicated players are online more). this system punishes your top players for enjoying the game.
2) In addition to problem #1... Its not only unethical but also a bad business strategy. the same players that are making you the most money. subscribing monthly, buying orbs. continuously watching ads for keys etc.. . During my 3 hour bans from the game every 6 hours. im not sitting around waiting for the timer to hit 0. im playing other games, spending my money elsewhere. Instead of on king of thieves.
3) in addition to problems #1 and #2 the more things in a game that frustrates the players. the more likely they are to move on to another game. taking their time and money. elsewhere
4) it doesn't stop cheaters/mechanic abusers. cheaters will just find other ways to cheat. and will just abuse the 6 hour time frame.
5) you get no warning at all, you are just booted out of the game and that alone. makes the system twice as frustrating. if this far from perfect system happens to remain. a play timer would be the first and most helpful improvement needed.
6) a player will receive a number of notifications badgering them about a game that i cant even play, "So and so raided you" "bird upgrade finished" "Keys refilled" its like "i know im not allowed to play. thanks for reminding me and rubbing it in." "ohh. he stole my gem? wonder what one he took, thanks for the update. i get to stress over what gem he stole over the next 3 hours" it all adds to the frustration of this system
7) in continuation with problem #6 a player receives notifications throughout the 3 hours of detention, but aren't given a notification when you are allowed to play again? just another tweak to keep in mind if this flawed system happens to remain
8) it can interrupt you in the middle of something. you might be selling a gem to make space for a new one for a raid you are about to go on. or just be trying to start a new upgrade that is going to take several hours. or you could of just changed homes and are now stuck with poorly placed defenses. anything could happen really. and when it does. you are forced to wait for 3 hours before continuing.
9) Life outside of the game. doesn't always conveniently line up with your 6 hour time frame to play. what happens when you have to go to work. in 3 hours. but you got booted out of the game without getting a chance to start upgrades. now not only are you missing out on 3 hours that your projects could be completing. but now you also have work for 9 hours and a grand total of 12 wasted hours that things could of been running in the background
10) a lot can happen in 3 hours. and you have no control over what happens. and a lot could be done using those 3 hours. you could cue a trap upgrade or various other upgrades, you could help friends retrieve lost gems. you could test your unbeatable guild masters dungeons. but instead you are on cooldown
Is It Really Necessary?
i understand that the system is there to prevent players from making themselves un-raidable but is it really necessary?
lets make a comparison to clash of clans. Clash is a online game that implements raiding just like King of thieves, when raided, a player can come to your home. and steal your resources when and only when, you are offline. however. clash of clans does not kick you out of the game for 3 hours at a time. and the world keeps on turning. the game is still just as fun. and nobody complains.
How I Feel About The Game? (specifically raids)
As a player of king of thieves, i don't mind getting raided. why? because ...
1) Gold is almost too east to get if you just run a few raids.
2) Majority of the time, if you are smart about trap placement, you don't lose gems,
3) You can get revenge and take back your gems, and can even get more powerful gems if you are in a guild with perks.
Sure. sometimes you lose gems. but i have stolen hundreds of gems, if not more, and yet, only lost a handful. personally. honestly, i probably wouldn't care if players could raid me well i was online, i get a 40 minute break in between every single raid attempt. and my traps should be enough to stop most raiders if they are strategically placed. and after all. this is a strategy game. the entire game is based around building and solving puzzles. however. removing the online protection from raids would likely just make more people angry so that's not a good idea.
(Some of these ideas will address just bots, some will also address players who are just online too often because they enjoy the game)
1) remove the system entirely and deal with bots and cheaters as they are discovered
2) Allowing you to be raided when raiding other players? the shield duration might need to be tweaked to further balance raiding
3) Every 2 or so hours have 1 hour or so that players can raid you, regardless of your online status. it would actually be really cool to get to watch live as they raid you. (editing your base in any way would need to be disabled well you are being raided)
4) allow players to get revenge on online players,
5) give players 5 minutes warnings and do server restarts (Forcing players to reconnect will force bot users to manually re launch the app) and also. restarts can be healthy. they clear out junk files in the server ram
6) implement a system to detect recurring movements (a player using a bot to stay online)
7) a system to detect when players are not actually doing anything. and just waiting around
8) increase a player's chance of getting raided when they go offline according to the last time a player raided them (including or excluding raiders who chose to skip the dungeon)
9) decrease their shield time after being raided depending on the number of online hours without a break
10) count offline house against your online time (play for 10 break for, 5 play for 10 break for 5 endlessly would never trigger the playtime limit)
there are tons of other, less annoying answers to solve the same problem. some of them even sound fun. id personally LOVE to watch people raid me. i love playing the game. but getting booted off for 3 hours at a time is extremely irritating. and id really like to see another solution take its place
Thankyou for making a super fun, and addictive game. i hope we as a community can work together to make the game even better
Edited by Sylis, 02 November 2016 - 07:13 AM.